Meiringspoort

Details

  • Description

Soaring cliff walls with spectacular rock formations line the 25 km tarred road which winds along the floor of the gorge through Meiringspoort, crossing the Groot River 25 times. Each crossing, or drift, has its own name and story.

 

The first road through Meiringspoort was constructed between 1856 and 1858 by Adam de Schmidt. On the morning of 3 March 1858 a colorful procession of about 250 mounted men and 100 distinguished guests in “spiders”, carriages and wagons departed through a triumphal arch decorated with flags for the journey to Klaarstroom – where a deputation of important guests from Prince Albert and Beaufort West awaited their arrival under another triumphal arch.

 

more

 

 

Back